Blog post

Monday, January 2, 2012

Australia Day 2012 – Wealth for Toil

Australia-day-logo-2012Last year I was pleased (and astonished) when my timid invitation to join me in Australia Day geneablogging was met with great enthusiasm. I was thrilled to present 22 fantastic responses from bloggers around the world, that provided great examples of quality research and writing with an Australian flavour.

Let’s do it again!

This year I invite you to join me in Australia Day (26 January) geneablogging on “Wealth for Toil”. The theme is inspired by Australia’s national anthem, Advance Australia Fair:

Australians all let us rejoice,
For we are young and free;
We've golden soil and wealth for toil;
Our home is girt by sea;
Our land abounds in nature’s gifts
Of beauty rich and rare;
In history’s page, let every stage
Advance Australia Fair.
In joyful strains then let us sing,
Advance Australia Fair.

Australia Day 2012: Wealth for Toil

To participate, choose someone who lived in Australia (preferably one of your ancestors) and tell us how they toiled. Your post should include:

  1. What was their occupation? 
  2. What information do you have about the individual’s work, or about the occupation in general?
  3. The story of the person, focussing on their occupation; or
    The story of the occupation, using the person as an example. 

Responses may be as long or short as you like, and as narrow or broad as you wish.

Publish your post on or before Australia Day (26 Jan 2012) and leave a comment here or send me an email with the URL. I will create a summary post of the responses.

I look forward to learning how your ancestors toiled!


Update: You can find a list of responses to this post here.

26 comments:

  1. Thanks for the challenge.

    My thinking cap is doing a great job - I've thought of someone already.

    Let's hope you get 2x22 submissions in 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll do my best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to try to remember to participate this year.  Does it have to be a direct ancestor?  I have 2 great uncles who went to Australia but my direct ancestor (my grandfather) came to Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Shelley - Thanks for the follow!  What a great blog and what a great idea for Australia Day - I shall do my best to participate

    ReplyDelete
  5. Count me in!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tanya St Clair HoneyJanuary 3, 2012 at 1:23 PM

    This looks like fun Shelley, I'm in.

    (Your theme title has reminded me I have to try to teach my 5 yr old the words to our National Anthem properly. She has been singing 'Wealth for toys' of late. )

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I'd rather have toys than toil, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It doesn't have to be a direct ancestor, it can be anyone you have information about. A great uncle is fine!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Look forward to it Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll be in it, now to decide who!

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a great idea.  I will try to remember. I am in the middle of writing about one of my ancestors and I know him so well.  Book will be published this year, I hope it lives up to HIM. 

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shelley

    I will be posting at GeneaBloggers on January 25th here in the states with a reminder about your Australia Day challenge and a roll up of the posts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Here is my contribution
    http://geniaus.blogspot.com/2012/01/australia-day-2012-wealth-for-toil.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Count me in too... although I only have today to write!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just posted mine, about Commercial Travellers - on http://famresearch.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just posted mine http://sharnsgenealogyjottings.blogspot.com (FamilyHistory4u)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Apologies... just posted my Australia day Blog on
    http://sharnsgenealogyhints.blogspot.com
    IGNORE THE LAST MESSAGE PLEASE!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mine has been posted. Thanks Shelley
    http://cassmob.wordpress.com/2012/01/25/australia-day-2012-wealth-for-toil-on-the-railway/

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have posted my response at http://cassmob.wordpress.com/2012/01/25/australia-day-2012-wealth-for-toil-on-the-railway/

    Thanks Shelley!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello & Happy Australia Day! My post is up

    http://anglersrest.blogspot.com/2012/01/australia-day-2012-wealth-for-toil.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for another interesting theme, Shelley. My contribution (about the work done by my grandfather, William Donald WEBSTER) is in my UK / Australia Genealogy blog.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Shelley - I hope that this year you are even more astonished. Here is my contribution and I should say I was lead here by My Western District Families blog.

    ReplyDelete