Blog post

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories 2010 - Christmas Foods - December 2


In last year's advent calendar, I wrote about eating a traditional (cold climate) Christmas lunch in the midst of an Australian summer.

That completely inappropriate hot roast lunch is still a big part of what Christmas is about for me, but there is one other food that was a regular feature whenever we had a large gathering of family - Christmas and other occasions. It was my Mum's pavlova.

Any Australian or New Zealander would be very familiar with the pavlova. It's a dessert with a meringue base, topped with cream and garnished with fruit.

My Mum made her pavlovas from scratch, not from a premix "Egg". Usually she would make two. One, I thought of as the adults' pavlova. The fruit topping made it almost a health food, so far as I was concerned. The other was the kids' pavlova. Instead of fruit, my mother topped the kids pav with a smashed up Peppermint crisp.

I have my mother's recipe, but I've never made it. I really should try to some day. I think I'd like to inherit her reputation as the pavlova queen!


This post is part of the Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories, hosted by Geneabloggers

3 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy - both the adult and the kids version! Hope you'll post the recipe sometime!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard of pavlova and am intrigued by it. I agree with Diana - hope you'll post the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds yummy - both the adult and the kids version! Hope you'll post the recipe sometime!!

    ReplyDelete