Blog post

Monday, December 6, 2010

The adventures of a DNA newbie - part two - the kit arrives

A dog barks.

A glimpse of a yellow shirt, passing by the window.

A package on the doorstep.

Me, jumping around in excitement saying "It's mine! It's mine!" while my husband reads the description of goods, with some suspicion, "SYNTHETIC PLASTIC TUBE AND INERT BUFFER."

The DNA kit from 23andMe has arrived! 

I'm impressed with how quickly it got here. It shipped from the USA on Friday (my time) and landed on my doorstep first thing Monday morning. Great job, DHL Express!

Inside the package I found a return envelope, detailed instructions, and a nice green package containing the testing kit. I notice that the "Collect by" date marked on the box is June 2011, so I don't really have a year to use the kit as suggested by the marketing of the $99 special. Never mind, I was planning on using the kit well before then.

Next step: Psych myself up to start spitting!

3 comments:

  1. Very exciting, hope you find something interesting in your results. We did our whole family and my husband's results were surprising and led to a whole new focus on his family tree. His parents were born in Spain and we found he had Jewish DNA on the paternal side. Mine was predictably boring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Heather. I expect my ancestry to be predictably boring too, but you never know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very exciting, hope you find something interesting in your results. We did our whole family and my husband's results were surprising and led to a whole new focus on his family tree. His parents were born in Spain and we found he had Jewish DNA on the paternal side. Mine was predictably boring.

    ReplyDelete