Blog post

Sunday, March 6, 2011

May Black and her feathered friends (Fearless Females)

In honour of National Women’s History Month (http://www.nwhp.org/whm/history.php), Lisa Alzo of The Accidental Genealogist blog (http://www.theaccidentalgenealogist.com/) presents Fearless Females: 31 Blogging Prompts to Celebrate Women’s History Month.

I am not going to attempt to respond to all of the topics, and I am already too late to attempt to post them on the appropriate days, but I thought they were such a great set of blogging prompts that I wanted to participate.

March 2 — Post a photo of one of your female ancestors. Who is in the photo? When was it taken? Why did you select this photo?

May Black (1881-1951) and her feathered friends

This is May Black (1881-1951), my great-grandmother. I don’t know where or when the picture was taken, but no doubt the hairstyle and clothing reveal a lot to someone who knows about such things. Neither do I know if the cockatoos and galah were hers or if they belonged to someone else.

The picture is rather scratched, but beyond the scratches the image is quite clear.

What I like about this photo, and the reason that I posted it, is that… look! She’s posing with cockatoos and a galah! So many of the photos from generations back are stiff and formal but I think that this one has a warmth and sense of humour about it.

5 comments:

  1. I love your photo. It immediately brought to mind Currumbin but that hadn't been established when this photo was taken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great photograph! One of my favourite ancestor photos shows my Gilmore great great grandparents and gg grandfather is holding their pet Sulphur Crested Cockatoo! Things like this breathe so much life into old photographs :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi again Shelley, I have nominated your blog for the 'One Lovely Blog' Award. :)
    http://ausgenjourneys.blogspot.com/2011/03/one-lovely-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi again Shelley, I have nominated your blog for the 'One Lovely Blog' Award. :)
    http://ausgenjourneys.blogspot.com/2011/03/one-lovely-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your photo. It immediately brought to mind Currumbin but that hadn't been established when this photo was taken.

    ReplyDelete