Blog post

Monday, March 14, 2011

A quiet evening of study

Tonight I am focussing my attention on study and assignment responses for the www.genealogicalstudies.com Methodology course, which was free at the time I signed up. However, I am taking it as part of the basic Australian package of courses, which I signed up for at a substantially reduced price having won a voucher as a door prize at the Unlock the Past Australian History and Genealogy 2010 Roadshow late last year.

I am working on the second week of the course, which so far seems to be aimed at beginners who are writing names on paper (yes, paper. You know… that flat rectangular stuff?) for the first time. That’s not an entirely bad thing as part of my reason for taking courses is that I am self-taught. I attended one beginners 2-hour session in about 1994, and swung by a National Archives of Australia family history day 6 or 7 years ago, but that is it! Hopefully I have read enough of the ‘right’ books and have enough common sense that I haven’t gone too far wrong, but I don’t think it hurts to hear again things that I should already know. Just in case I don’t.

I’m not far enough into the course to say if I agree with the approaches taken, but agree or disagree it will get me thinking about how I do things and that can only be positive.

For now, I had better stop procrastinating, and get on with it!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck.

    Look forward to haring your thoughts on the course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am just catching up on your posts Shelley. I'll be interested to hear how you find the course because I have been toying with the idea of doing it.

    I'm sure you'll find that what you are doing is more than fine!

    ReplyDelete